Asthma accounts for more than 10.5 million office visits every year. By 2025, the number of people with asthma will grow to more than 100 million. Family physicians know that asthma can become a burden for patients and their families. Often, it seems that the bulk of the visits with patients who have asthma and parents of children who have asthma are spent urging them to make lifestyle changes, including taking medications that will result in improved outcomes and, in turn, help them feel better. But what changes can you make in your practice to improve outcomes? METRIC® aims to help you identify changes—big or small—in your practice that will make life better for you and your patients who have asthma.
Identify changes to improve the lives of your asthma patients, and your practice, with this METRIC asthma module that takes you step by step through a performance improvement project aimed at improving patient asthma care. This program uses your own patient data to evaluate your current quality of patient care and to compare with your peers. It helps you develop an action plan and offers tips, templates and resources to implement that plan, then measures the improvement to patient outcomes. Access to this online performance improvement program is available from any computer and allows you to work individually at your own pace or with other physicians in a group. The program can be used in large quality improvement initiatives across multiple practice sites and METRIC program staff is available to create group data reports and provide other administrative group needs.
METRIC is also a valuable tool for residency program tracking and quality improvement, eliminating project design time on your part. This program builds critical skills in practice-based learning and improvement, an ACGME requirement for residency programs.
This METRIC module will take a minimum of three months to complete. To meet the Maintenance of Certification Part IV (MC-FP Part IV) requirement, it must be completed within 12 months.
- Easy to follow, step by step performance improvement program
- Designed for physicians in office-based practices
- Individual or group participation: CME credits awarded on an individual basis
- Confidential data collection
- Links to additional resources, evidence based guidelines, and quality improvement methodologies
- Approved for 20 AAFP Prescribed credits upon completion
- Approved by the ABFM as an alternative program to fulfill MC-FP Part IV
To participate in the activity, you will need a current web browser:
- Firefox (PC or Mac version; 3.0 or greater) (recommended)
- Internet Explorer (PC only version 7.0 or later)
- Mac users: The latest version of Safari is required. Free download available from the Apple website.
- Current versions of Adobe Reader and Windows Media Player are needed to view course materials.
After you purchase this METRIC module you have immediate and unlimited online access. Go to www.aafp.org/metric to begin.